Just My Type:
The Personality Game
Objective: To identify and explore personality types
Audience: All organizational members, excellent for intact teams
Time Required: 45-60 minutes
The next time you do personal-style training, try this exhilarating alternative to standard inventories and questionnaires. Just My Type is a fun, revealing card game based on Jung’s theory of personality types, and makes a perfect introduction to any team development, communication, diversity, leadership, or personality-style workshop!
This dynamic new card game is based upon concepts developed by Carl Jung. His theory suggests that there are eight personality types that we all use at different times. These eight preferences are organized into four pairs of contrasting dimensions. Each dimension represents a particular way we respond to the world around us. For example, where we focus our attention or how we make decisions is determined by our preferences. Our preferences in each of the four pairs combine into what is called a Personality Type.
The primary objective of Just My Type is to provide the trainer with a fast and fun method for helping participants learn how their behavior preferences can impact their relationships with others. Playing the game provides an opportunity to discuss those preferences and their implications and point the way toward working together more effectively and productively.
Through a series of steps, participants choose cards containing adjectives that are most descriptive of them. Each card reflects a different Jungian preference. There are no right or wrong preferences. The outcome of the game will not be as accurate as a scored profile from a psychometric instrument such as Personal Style Inventory, but the fun quotient is very high!
- Discover their personal style and how others perceive them.
- Learn the strengths and weaknesses of each personality type.
- Develop an appreciation for coworkers with different personality styles.
Goals of the Game
- Provide participants with a chance to get to know and understand themselves and others
- Illustrate the differences in behavior preferences within a group or team, giving people an understanding that there are no right or wrong behavior preferences
- Build acceptance and understanding of those with different behavior preferences
- Help groups have fun discovering their behavior strengths and blind spots
Uses for Just My Type
- As an ice breaker or introduction to any workshop
- To provide a quick and effective introduction to personality type theory
- As a highly educational and experiential activity within a workshop
- To develop team cohesiveness through awareness and acceptance of individual preferences
What to Order
Order a Complete Game for up to 16 participants. The Complete Game includes:
- Four (4) reusable decks of 48 cards each
- Sixteen (16) 20-page Participant Workbooks
- Sixteen (16) tent cards
- Facilitator Guide
For every additional 8 players, order a Game Pack for 8 participants. The Game Pack for 8 participants includes:
- Eight (8) Participant Workbooks
- Eight (8) tent cards
Additional Resources on Personality
Personality and the Team - A half-day team training session and assessment using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator that helps teams completely understand their interactions and relationships.
Article - Personality and the Team: Value the PersonFew teams really understand or appreciate the powerful effects that our unique personalities have on team functioning. Ray Martin shares the basics in this excellent article. Our experience over the last 20 years shows that when team members have a clearer understanding of each others' unique personalities, they experience less conflict and ultimate frustration due to misunderstandings.