What's My Style?
Identify basic personality styles with What’s My Style?, a quick and memorable learning instrument that’s appropriate for everyone in your organization. By responding to a simple 18-item inventory, participants will learn their preference for one of four basic behavioral styles, how a preferred style affects behavior, and how to capitalize on strengths/combat weaknesses to create greater success in their lives.
- Pinpoint one of four style preferences: Direct, Spirited, Considerate, or Systematic
- Discover how style affects behavior
- Recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each style
- Learn how to interact with different styles
What’s My Style? and the other titles in the HRDQ Style Series™ are based on the well-known research and personality theories of psychologists Carl Jung, William Moulton Marston, and others. Most research has identified two basic dimensions of style, which we refer to as assertiveness and expressiveness. Assertiveness is the effort a person makes to influence or control the thoughts or actions of others. Expressiveness is the effort that a person makes to control his or her emotions and feelings when relating to others.
How It Works
Participants respond to 18 pairs of adjectives, using a pressure-sensitive. After scoring is complete, easy-to-read charts allow respondents to quickly scan the strengths and trouble spots that characterize their particular styles.
The Facilitator Guide provides PowerPoint® slides and instructions for conducting a training workshop that includes an activity that allows participants to practice using flexibility when working with other styles. The final exercise, “Capitalizing on Your Style,” offers a framework for positive personal action planning.
Uses for What’s My Style?
This instrument makes an effective stand-alone tool to develop better self-awareness and communication. What’s My Style? also makes an effective component in training programs for a wide variety of topics, including:
- Team Building
- Leadership and Supervisory Skills
- Negotiating Skills
- Decision Making/Problem Solving Skills
How to Order What’s My Style?
Order one Facilitator Guide per trainer and one Participant Guide per participant.
Facilitator Guide includes:
- Administrative guidelines
- Background information
- Workshop outline with step-by-step instructions and activity
- Preparation checklist
- Optional activities to conduct using StylePlay - 12 Group Card Games
- Alternative training designs
- Blank training outline
- Sample copy of re-formatted Participant Guide
- CD-ROM containing Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation and reproducible masters (Certificate of Achievement, Training Evaluation and overhead transparency masters)
- Convenient binder format
Participant Guide includes:
- 18-item assessment
- Pressure-sensitive Response Form
- Interpretive information
- Charts depicting style strengths and trouble spots
- Action planning worksheet